If you find yourself looking for more than the typical summer job this year, you’ll want to pay close attention to the new Earn and Learn Internship Program begin offered this year by the crew at Lake Michigan College. Students can now apply for various positions being offered in their chosen fields through the great new program.
Funded by a $500,000 gift from Whirlpool Corporation and the Whirlpool Foundation and administered by LMC Career Services, the program matches student employees with local businesses for a career-building experience.
LMC’s Dean of Career & Workforce Education, Ken Flowers, says, “This is a great opportunity for both our students and local employers,” and adds, “It helps students get valuable experience in a field they are interested in while helping employers fill a need that they might not otherwise be able to offer during the Summer months.”
The program provides 70-percent of employees pay at $12 per hour for up to 20 hours a week over 12 weeks. Employers are responsible for the remaining 30-percent of the student’s pay and any hours over 20 per week. Employers can also choose to pay more than $12 per hour at their own expense or offer students employment beyond the 12-week program if they wish.
Flowers tells us, “We have had several students stay on with companies after the internship ended and even a few of those who were offered full-time positions.”
Some of the positions being offered this Summer include:
- Assistant brewer, lead line chef, and marketing positions at Buchanan Craft
- Marketing events intern at Fernwood Botanical Garden & Nature Preserve
- Safety coordinator at Bonnell Aluminum
- Machinist at Skidmore Pump
- Farm assistant at Flatwater Farms
- General office assistant at Michigan Gateway Community Foundation
To be considered for the internship program, students must:
- Have completed one academic year or earned at least 24 credit hours with a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.5
- Be enrolled for the Fall semester at Lake Michigan College, transfer school, or complete a co-op requirement for graduation
- Demonstrate financial need for the following academic year when submitting the application
Interested students should fill out an online application at the link below: http://lakemichigancollege.edu/earn-and-learn
The deadline to apply for the Summer of 2021 is May 21st.
For more information or questions about the program, visit the LMC website or email Flowers at email@example.com