Southwest Michigan businesses who want to make certain that their cross-state employees all understand the risks associated with carrying marijuana products across those state lines might want to make sure that at least their HR people are on hand to learn the rules at a seminar coming early next month in Kalamazoo.
Gibson, the regional insurance broker, is hosting the seminar “Crossing State Lines” in Kalamazoo on October 1st, 2019 as part of their “What’s The Risk” events. With Michigan legalizing the recreational use of marijuana, and the Federal law still criminalizing it, many employers are left wondering what they can prohibit and test for in the workplace.
You can join a timely event, where perspectives will be included from local employment law attorney Luis Avila, Partner – Grand Rapids at Varnum, Sheri Butler, Director for HR Solutions at Gibson, and Shawna Neilson, Director of Risk Management Services at Gibson.
Topics of Discussion Will Include:
- How to manage the evolving risks related to your drug and alcohol policies
- How state laws legalizing recreational or medical marijuana impact your policies and practices
- How these other recent developments impact your policies and practices
- Practical advice for policies and practices to address these issues
- Overview of state laws legalizing marijuana, focusing on Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio
The free event will qualify for 2.0 SHRM credits.
The event will be held at the Fetzer Center from 8:30am – 10:30am, with registration opening at 8:00am. To attend, RSVP at the link below. There is no fee, however, registration is required. Here’s the link: https://www.gibsonins.com/crossingstatelines
Gibson is a regional insurance broker and risk management services firm. With offices in South Bend, Plymouth, Indianapolis, Fort Wayne, and Kalamazoo. Gibson is 100-percent employee owned and ranks as a top employer in the region. Visit www.gibsonins.com for more information.