The design team, innovation squads, engineers, sales people and everyone in between are likely beaming with pride at world headquarters and every other division scattered across Michigan's Great Southwest and beyond following the recent iF Design Awards where they garnered trophies for 17 products the appliance maker produces globally.
Fully seventeen products across multiple Whirlpool Corporation kitchen and laundry brands globally, earned 2019 iF Design Awards. That's no small feat when you consider that the award series is one of the world's foremost design competitions. In fact, this year (for 2019), companies from 50 countries participated in the iF Design Award and submitted 6,400 products to be judged by an international jury of 67 design experts.
J Mays, Chief Design Officer at Whirlpool, says, "People want inspiration from their surroundings and by the things they touch every day. They also want performance." Mays adds, "Staying true to our purpose and infusing design and innovation into every aspect of our appliances is how our teams operate every day. We are thrilled our vision is being honored with the prestigious iF labels."
Awarded products from the Whirlpool family include:
- Bauknecht Built-in Collection (EMEA) - including a built-in oven, built-in microwave oven, and warming drawer, this stylish suite of premium kitchen appliances combines distinctive design, flexible features and proven performance.
- KitchenAid Glassholder Dishwasher Accessory (EMEA) - this new foldable wine rack gives consumers flexibility in usage and is designed to be aesthetically pleasing in its own right, in both a functional capacity or display on tabletops as a "pride piece."
- Whirlpool Low Profile Microwave Hood Combination (North American Region) - the newest addition to Whirlpool brand's iconic kitchen lineup, the low-profile MHC provides a solution to small-space living through 1.1 cubic feet of "purposeful capacity," which fits tall glasses, wide plates and big bowls.
- Whirlpool W Collection - beneath the surface-level and sleek look, this collection integrates the brands advance 6TH SENSE technology, providing functional solutions to everyday consumer challenges. Awardees include:
- 4-Doors Fridge Freezer (Global)
- Black Fiber Range (EMEA)
- Supreme Clean Slim Size Dishwasher (EMEA)
- Indesit Push & Go Dryer (EMEA) - with curved surfaces, rounded corners, and clearer interfaces, including a wider door and easy-to-understand icons, the user experience is front and center while combining form and functionality.
- Whirlpool ACE XL (India) - this intuitive, twin-tub washing machine provides an affordable but sleek-looking product for many first-time customers with distinct lids, pronounced wheels and handles to promote mobility.
- Whirlpool Bloomwash (India) - a top-loading washing machine with the newly designed interior Hexa Bloom Impeller.
- Whirlpool Emperor Wave 1 (China) - the new washer and dryer suite is designed to deliver an intuitive, pure and leading-edge brand language to comfort families globally. The control knob with Nest user interface provides an ergonomic experience in both reading the information and controlling.
- Whirlpool Emperor Wave 2 (China) - this premium combo washer is the first to apply a 3-D glass front cover providing the user a unique, customized aesthetic and an intuitive user interface.
- Whirlpool & Maytag Front Load Washer & Dryer (North American Region) - this washer and dryer removes steps for a simpler laundry cycle through design, innovation, and smart capabilities.
The iF Design Award, established in 1953, is one of the most prestigious design awards globally, organized each year by iF International Forum Design GmbH in Hanover – the oldest independent design institution in the world.
Benton Harbor-based Whirlpool Corporation is the world's leading major home appliance company, with approximately $21 billion in annual sales, 92,000 employees and 65 manufacturing and technology research centers in 2018. The company markets Whirlpool, KitchenAid, Maytag, Consul, Brastemp, Amana, Bauknecht, JennAir, Indesit and other major brand names in nearly every country throughout the world. Additional information about the company can be found at WhirlpoolCorp.com, or find them on Twitter at @WhirlpoolCorp.