As Michigan continues the reopening process now that capacity restrictions have ended across the state, 12 of the state’s unemployment offices — including the one in Benton Harbor — will once again offer in-person services beginning next week, but they will be by appointment only.
Michigan residents can go online beginning, today, June 23rd to start scheduling those appointments. Each appointment slot is 15-minutes and may be scheduled up to a week in advance. Appointments are available from 8:15 am to 4:45 pm Monday through Friday.
Acting UIA Director Liza Estlund Olson says, “This additional option for customer service is another avenue to assist Michigan residents in accessing the financial lifeline they need while they are recovering from a job loss.”
Customers must schedule an appointment online in order to be seen by a UIA representative. Walk-in appointments will not be accepted. To schedule an in-person appointment, visit http://Michigan.gov/uia and click on ‘Schedule an Appointment.’
Although the agency anticipates appointments will fill up quickly, appointment slots do become available each day as cancellations occur. The agency expects to serve about 900 customers per day in person. Appointments are not transferrable to other customers.
The agency will still maintain some COVID-19 safety protocols such as requesting that customers wear a mask before entry. Customers should bring their driver’s license or photo ID, and any other documents pertinent to their claim. Individuals who are late for their appointment may have to reschedule.
Estlund-Olson notes, “In-person appointments will supplement the many ways customers can contact us to get assistance with their claim.”
In addition to scheduling an in-person appointment, customers may contact the Unemployment Insurance Agency by:
- Calling the UIA Customer Service telephone line at 866-500-0017, Monday through Friday from 8 am – 5 pm. The line currently handles up to 25,000 callers a day.
- Chat with an agent through the Michigan Web Account Manager (MiWAM) from 8 am through 5 pm. From the MiWAM home page, click on ‘I want to … Chat with an Agent.’ The agency handles about 5,000 chats per day.
- Schedule a phone appointment Monday through Friday from 8:15 am – 4:25 pm. Each appointment is 20-minutes. The UIA currently handles about 1,000 phone appointments per day. Schedule an appointment online at http://Michigan.gov/uia. Click on ‘Schedule an Appointment.’
These are the local UIA office locations that will be open for appointment only:
- Benton Harbor, 401 8th St.
- Detroit, 3024 W. Grand Blvd., Suite L-385
- Gaylord, 931 Otsego Ave.
- Grand Rapids, 3391-A Plainfield Ave., NE
- Kalamazoo, 1600 South Burdick St.
- Lansing, 5217 Perry Robinson Circle
- Marquette, 1498 Odovero Drive, Ste. 2
- Muskegon, 2700 Baker St.
- Saginaw, 515 N. Washington Ave
- Sault Ste. Marie, 1118 East Easterday Ave.
- Sterling Heights, 43015 Hayes Road
- Traverse City, 1209 S. Garfield Ave., Ste. C