The countdown to the 2016 Senior PGA Championship presented by KitchenAid marches on. Less than 17-weeks and counting until the Champions Tour will tee it up at the Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Club at Harbor Shores in Benton Harbor. There is still time to earn your way inside the ropes for this amazing, world-class event.
The PGA of America is recruiting the final line up of volunteers for the championship event, meaning you could be among those working inside the ropes with a first-hand experience alongside some of the legendary names of the game. By signing on to the Volunteer Program, you could very well end being the standard-bearer carrying the on-course score card of the 2016 Champion! You could assist the PGA staff with the distribution of their fleet of sparkling new Mercedes-Benz vehicles or even drive one or more of the golfers to several destinations during Championship Week.
Rachel Wright is Manager of Volunteer Operations for the championship and she's down to a handful of positions remaining to be filled in several roles and would love to talk with you about the amazing opportunities at hand. While a number of the various committees involved in the championship have already been filled, there are still openings in key groups including the following:
- Contestant Transportation: Your job will be to assist the PGA staff with the distribution of the Mercedes fleet prior to the Championship, transportation services during the event, and collection of the vehicles when the event has concluded. You must have a valid driver's license for this role.
- Standard-Bearers: Adult volunteers on this committee are responsible for the organization and assembly of the standards, as well as management of the junior volunteers that will carry the standards. Many adults will also be asked to walk with a group carrying the standard and updating the scores as needed.
- Scoring Control: This committee is responsible for overseeing the entire electronic scoring system for the Senior PGA Championship. Members of the committee will receive the contestant's scores from the Walking Scorer Committee, and electronically dispense the information to the Leader Boards, Thru Boards, Monster Board, Media Center and television compound. Knowledge of golf is required.
- Leader Boards & Thru Boards: Volunteers will operate manual leader boards & thru boards, updating contestants scores. Leader Boards and Thru Boards will be located throughout the golf course. You must be capable of climbing up and down ladders.
- Monster Board: You will post the names and scores of the Championship leaders using large magnetic numbers and letters to the main Championship leader board.
- Marshals: Volunteers here will have inside the ropes access on their designated hole to assist with gallery control, enforcement of the PGA's cell-phone policy, and potentially aid in contestant evacuations. General knowledge of golf is recommended for this committee.
- Contestant Evacuation: This committee is responsible for ensuring the safe evacuation of all event participants from the golf course during the week of the Championship if necessary. In the event of a weather delay, or emergency, members of this committee will transport contestants in Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Vans to designated evacuation areas until play has resumed.
- Information & Services: Volunteers will staff the prohibited items booth and various information stations for the benefit of all Senior PGA Championship spectators.
If you, or anyone you know, find an interest in volunteering for these roles, you can sign up online at the link below, or you can contact Rachel Wright with the PGA of America at 269-487-3200 to sign-up over the phone. Either way works.
In exchange for the $130 volunteer/uniform fee, each volunteer receives:
- An official Ralph Lauren Volunteer Uniform, consisting of one golf shirt, outerwear and headwear all branded with the Senior PGA Championship presented by KitchenAid logo.
- Complimentary parking.
- Meal & Water Vouchers
- Official Championship Program
- One-Time Discount at the Championship Shop
- Personalized Volunteer Credential which allows access to the grounds all 6-days of the Championship
- Four (4) Any Day Flex Tickets to the Championship for family or friends
- One (1) round of golf (cart rental not included), at Harbor Shores if all assigned shifts are completed*
- (*On redemption, a $25 cart fee will be collected by the club. The round is transferable as a gift (not for sale) and expires November 1, 2016. Some date restrictions apply.)
- Access throughout Championship week to the Volunteer Hospitality Center and its refreshments, entertainment and prize opportunities
The photo accompanying this story on Moody on the Market.com shows the mother and daughter team of Teri & Sky Cooper who served as 2014 SPGA Volunteers.
Here's the link to sign up as a volunteer: http://www.srpga.com