Did you ever stop and think about how the grand array of artists who populate Lake Bluff Park in St. Joseph every summer end up with one of those coveted booth spaces? The Krasl Art Fair on the Bluff process is really quite rigorous, so you really have to offer up quality work and be able to catch a diverse set of eyes from among the jury of folks who make that decision. It's not even close to a slam dunk when you consider that nearly 900 artists from all across the country apply and only 200 actually earn a slot.
While we don't get a vote in that process, we do get a vote when it comes to electing to own something from the world class event and that vote comes up already in just three weeks.
As the Krasl folks tell us, it will be a weekend "to make, collect, and experience art" in southwest Michigan.
Everyone is invited to the 58th annual Krasl Art Fair on the Bluff on Saturday, July 13th, from 10 AM to 6 PM and Sunday, July 14th, from 10 AM to 5 PM in beautiful Lake Bluff Park in downtown St. Joseph.
Artists from across the country will come together to bring fine art and fine craft to southwest Michigan. Nearly 900 artists applied to participate in the juried 2019 art fair, and this year, 200 new and returning artists in 11 media categories will showcase their outstanding work. With categories including painting, textiles, digital art, and jewelry, there's an excellent opportunity for you to find the perfect addition for your collection.
The Krasl Art Center invites the community to join them for the Friday Night Block Party, July 12th, from 5 to 10 PM on the Krasl Art Center’s newly-designed grounds, where admission is just $5. You can enjoy top-notch local fare, including The Livery Microbrewery’s beers, Lake Michigan Vintners’ wines, and food trucks from WERK IT! and Dialos. Entertainment will be provided by Michigan solo guitarist Jake Allen and The Gasoline Gypsies from Detroit.
On the weekend itself you can also take in the sights and sounds of this year’s Krasl Art Fair at the Beer & Wine Garden. It's your chance to enjoy beers from The Livery Microbrewery, award-winning Michigan wines from Lake Michigan Vintners, and delicious food from WERK IT! Food Truck and Diolos. Music by local performers and yard games provide a relaxing break during the Art Fair experience. The Beer & Wine Garden is located on the Krasl Art Center grounds both Saturday and Sunday.
Food cARTs in the concession area at the corner of Lake Boulevard and Broad Street will sell farm-to-table fare and additional favorite treats while visitors enjoy entertainment by Premier Art Fair Sponsor and cultural partners 98.3, The Coast, who also present Smooth Jazz at Sunset on Saturday night in the Shadowland Pavilion at Silver Beach below the bluff. More on that (including ticket information) can be found at this link:
To avoid the hassles of trying to find a parking space or battling congested traffic, the committee invites you to take advantage of free parking and shuttle services available at Kelley’s Bowl at 2705 Cleveland Avenue and in the Renaissance Business Center at 511 Renaissance Drive. Shuttles run continuously throughout the day including 20 minutes before and one hour after the Krasl Art Fair. A $5 per family donation is suggested.
For a free listing of featured artists and additional information about art fair weekend, you can visit online at this link: http://krasl.org/art-fair
- Friday, July 12, 2019 – Krasl Art Fair on the Bluff Block Party, 5 PM -10 PM
- Saturday, July 13, 2019 – Krasl Art Fair on the Bluff, 10 AM - 6 PM
- Sunday, July 14, 2019 – Krasl Art Fair on the Bluff, 10 AM - 5 PM
There’s something for everyone at the Krasl Art Fair on the Bluff:
- Kick off the weekend at the Krasl Art Fair on the Bluff Block Party!
- Enjoy Smooth Jazz at Sunset in the Shadowland Pavilion at Silver Beach Saturday night. Check the link above.
- Enjoy the Krasl Kids’ Zone Saturday & Sunday, where children create make-and-take artwork inspired by art fair artists. Join in Saturday from 10 AM to 6 PM and Sunday, 10 AM to 5 PM. Donations are appreciated.
- The Krasl Art Fair on the Bluff features the unique Children’s Art Purchase Program for young people just starting their own art collection. Some artists have select art for sale at $10 or less for children age 14 and under. Participating artists have a “CAPP” sign on their booth.
- Per City of St. Joseph ordinance, the Krasl Art Fair is a pet-free event. Pets are not permitted within the perimeter of the KAF for the duration of the weekend. Service animals are always welcome.