Nearly 35,000 customers of Indiana Michigan Power began the second day of the New Year in the dark and cold thanks to a winter storm with ice and snow that caused serious damage to some equipment and disrupted service overnight.
I&M officials say that crews will continue restoration efforts today after the winter ice storm that cut off service to more than 34,000 customers. More than 90-percent of the affected customers are in the South Bend/Elkhart area as snow fell overnight causing additional outages.
I&M crews and contractors will assess and respond to more than 900 separate outage cases as safely and efficiently as possible to repair or replace damaged equipment caused by ice and snow. Additional crews from Fort Wayne, Muncie and Ohio will be assisting in the restoration efforts.
I&M cautions customers and the public to use the following safety precautions:
- Stay away from any downed wires and report them to I&M. You can call in to 800-311-4634, report on the I&M app or their website, or you can call 911.
- Trees could fall or drop limbs at any moment, please look up.
- Many roads are icy and may be covered with debris. Please use extreme caution if you must walk outside or drive.
- Traffic lights may not be functioning. Please use caution and be mindful of first responders and utility workers on the roadways.
- Crews will be following all CDC guidelines pertaining to COVID-19 including physical distancing. We urge the general public not to approach our crews.
Indiana Total Customer Outages: 31,329
- South Bend/Elkhart area: 31,300
- Fort Wayne/Muncie and Marion area: fewer than 100
Michigan Total Customer Outages: 3,300
- Buchanan area: 1,200
- Three Rivers area: 2,000
- Benton Harbor: fewer than 50
ESTIMATED RESTORATION TIMES (ETRS):
Icy conditions are still in the area this morning along with freezing temperatures. Firm estimated times of restoration for all affected customers will be established once full assessment of icing related damage is complete.
I&M encourages customers to use the Indiana Michigan Power app to monitor the status of any outage affecting your home or business. http://IndianaMichiganPower.com/App.
You can sign up for text and email alerts on the app or at http://IndianaMichiganPower.com/Alert
See the location and status of outages using theiir outage map at http://IndianaMichiganPower.com/OutageMap
For the latest updates you can follow Indiana Michigan Power on Facebook and find them on Twitter @IN_MI_Power.